This Easy Carrot Cake is incredibly tender, moist and delicious!
Using regular cake ingredients like flour, sugar and oil along with grated carrots, pineapple and coconut, this cake has the best texture and flavor. Plus with the addition of buttermilk, baking soda and cinnamon, it becomes extra moist and flavorful!
This recipe for moist carrot cake could not be more simple to make, and the result is incredible! It’s so tasty in fact, that one piece just might not be enough!
PIN this Easy Carrot Cake recipe your DESSERTS board!
Follow Around the Nook on Pinterest for more great recipes and inspiration!
Easy Recipe For Moist Carrot Cake!
- Using simple pantry ingredients, and mixed together in just one bowl, this recipe has easy prep and easy clean up too.
- With the addition of buttermilk and pineapple, this carrot cake is incredibly moist!
- Top it with a simple cream cheese icing, or serve it naked with a bit of ice cream!
Carrot Cake Ingredients
THE BASICS! Flour, sugar and oil are staple ingredients found in most cakes, and of course found here! Use an all purpose flour, and sprinkle it into the measuring cup instead of scooping from the container. Most gluten free flour alternatives can be used at a 1:1 ratio, but check the bag to be certain. This would be a delicious gluten free option!
A MOIST AND LIGHT CAKE! The acidity in buttermilk helps to break down the gluten in cakes and creates a more moist and tender cake. If there is no buttermilk on hand, add 1T vinegar to a 1 cup measuring cup then add enough milk, or cream, to make 1 cup. Baking soda is also added because it reacts with the acid in the buttermilk, creating bubbles which helps the cake to rise!
THE MAIN EVENT! Grated carrots are of course the star of this beautiful cake! But with the addition of crushed pineapple, coconut and walnuts, the flavor is off the charts! Don’t like coconut, simply leave it out. Pecans can be used as a substitute for walnuts as well. Nut allergies? Omit the nuts.
SPICED RIGHT! This recipe calls for cinnamon, and don’t leave it out! But try sprinkling in a bit of nutmeg for a punch of flavor, or even a pumpkin spice mix makes a nice addition.
How To Make Easy Carrot Cake
- Gather and prep all the ingredients to be sure everything is available. Grate the carrots, chop the walnuts, make the buttermilk (if needed). Grease pans. Preheat oven.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix.
- Add the carrot, pineapple, nuts and coconut. Stir to combine until incorporated.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pans, then remove and cool completely on a rack.
Carrot cake is delicious topped with a cream cheese icing and it’s super easy to do!
Quick Cream Cheese Icing Recipe: Blend an 8 ounce block of cream cheese with 1/4 cup butter. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and blend until smooth. Gradually add in 2 cups powdered sugar, a 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth. Spread over cake.
Keep it simple and spread the icing over the entire cake. Alternately, add icing to a piping bag and with a Wilton 1M tip, and decorate the cake with some swirls. Sprinkle with cinnamon, chopped nuts or some cinnamon sticks for a fun decoration!
For A ‘Naked’ Look:
- cut each carrot cake into two layers, then frost in between the layers and the top. Don’t frost the sides, just let the icing spill out.
- sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top of the cake. It is delicious served this way with a dollop of whipped cream, Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream.
How To Store Carrot Cake
Carrot cake is incredibly easy to store and will remain moist and delicious. It freezes well, so it is perfect to make ahead of time for holidays or other special occasions. Just cover with plastic wrap, or place in a covered container. Refrigerate for about 4-5 days, and freeze 4-6 months.
I hope you love this easy carrot cake recipe as much as my family does. It is a favorite for sure!
Other Delish Cakes To Try!
- Zucchini Chocolate Cake – another moist and delish cake!
- Skor Cake Recipe – so decadent
- Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes – perfect hand held mini cakes
Easy Carrot Cake
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk or ¾ T vinegar, with enough cream added to make ¾ cup. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before adding.
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounce can of crushed pineapple
- 2 cups carrots grated
- 1 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and grease 2 9" round pans.
- Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, sugar and vanilla until blended.
- Add flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix until incorporated
- Stir in pineapple, grated carrots, nuts and coconut.
- Pour into pans and bake 35-40 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- If using a 9×13 pan, bake for 50-55 minutes. Check to see if it is done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- Carrot cake can be stored at room temperature, in a covered container for about 2-3 days.
- Refrigerate cake covered for 4-5 days.
- Freeze for about 4-6 months. It is a good idea to wrap cake with plastic wrap and then with foil or in a zippered bag.